We've Moved

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

It can be found at the new website: http://fifteen15studios.com/blog/

Personal Blog

Want to know more about the man behind the programs? Check out my personal blog: http://havens1515.blogspot.com

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Settings menu update

I just realized that the Android support library was updated in November to include support for PreferenceFragment. (I knew it was updated, but I just now realized that it included that class.) Now, I know that means nothing to most of you... but to me, it means that I can stop creating separate menus for Android 2.x and 4.x!

This means a few things:

  1. The file size for the app is likely going to get smaller, because I can get rid of a lot of redundant code.
  2. I can stop using depreciated code, and start using the supported replacement code.
  3. There's less of a chance that I will change/add something in one place, and forget to adjust it in another place.
  4. I am going to have to figure out how to use it properly, and where I need to make the changes, which may take some time
  5. There will likely be another update soon which will probably improve performance, reduce the size of the app, and hopefully make it easier for me to release future updates more quickly.
Again, this may not seem like a big deal to you guys... but it's a big deal for me!

EDIT: I think I may be wrong on this... it looks like the support library includes Fragment, but not PreferenceFragment. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment